Re: Just how far this whole expect the worst thing in the US has gone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discuss it - Castlebar 2001 ]

Posted by Lucky on October 14, 2001 at 10:33:19:

In Reply to: Re: Just how far this whole expect the worst thing in the US has gone posted by red sock on October 13, 2001 at 17:33:45:

I think it was real enough for the people in Chicago on September 11th when they closed down the Sears tower and most of downtown. People felt the effects of the terrorist acts immeadiatly. But I do think that in areas of the US that weren't directly influenced by the attacks, it was more of a news story than anything else. If your day to day life isn't interrupted it's hard to grasp the extreemity of the situation.

I feel bad that when the towers fell I didn't think "oh those poor people," I thought of my friends and family instead and how they'd be effected. I've got two friends in the army and a brother in the national guard (he did four years active army duty). That's what really made it real for me, the knowledge that those three guys could get sent over there, or be stationed in harm's way.

People are calming down though and realizing that the US can't just settle this within a week with a whole load of bombs and national pride. They're all over the initial shock, they're ready to listen now, instead of wanting to charge into Afghanistan with guns blaring a la GI Joe.

Every time they turn on the news it becomes a little more real, a little more unnerving. I just thank God that I didn't know anyone in the air that day, or in New York.

I think everyone's thinking "But for the grace of God," it could've been any of us on those planes, or in those buildings. I think that's the scariest thing of all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discuss it - Castlebar 2001 ]