Posted by Friggin Anti Irish on July 09, 2002 at 23:53:02:
In Reply to: Re: FAI are OK Then? posted by Bill Door on July 09, 2002 at 23:21:09:
1. Heard a guy who was supposed to be on the FAI TV committee who said first he knew of it was when it was announced on the TV.
2. Someone pointed out earlier it only takes 15,000 extra subs to make up the 7.5M so SKY basically have stolen the Irish Team from the Irish people by duping the incredibly stupid an greedy bunch in charge of the FAI. So if SKY get 30,000 subs they double their money - but still miles short of the 900,000 viewers who watched the world cup matches.
3. The taxpayer have already given the FAI 65M plus the 10M or so that RTE put into transmission coming out of the ordinary punter's licence fee. Now what value will they get from that when so few people can watch the matches?
4.The kids will turn to hurling and GAA instead at least the GAA promised never to go satellite today with the benefit of hindsight of course - they couldn't risk getting the same kind of reaction.
5. End of Irish soccer.
6. Quick poll today among colleagues who could well afford to subscribe - only one possible out of 6 or 7. Don't think they'll even bother going to the pub.
7. GAA is looking increasingly attractive as a TV spectator sport.