[Photo Galleries ][Polls Discussion ] [ Go to Castlebar ] [ The BB Index ] [ Disclaimer ] [Nostalgia Board ] [Roots ]
[NB Refresh for current version and all follow-ups]
Posted by Why ? on July 31, 2004 at 16:08:46:
In Reply to: Re: just watch the shopkeepers in town bristle posted by Mogli on July 31, 2004 at 12:45:18:
I often hear of this "legal requirement to house Travellers" and often wonder about it
1) Is the council also "legally required" to house settled people who cant come up with €180,000 (or whatever it is these days for a house in Castlebar) ?
2) Is there a legal requirement to offer travellers a house straight away or do they go on a waiting list and if so is the waiting list the same as for a settled person ?
3) Do travellers have to pay rent (or service charges) for thier house or halting site bay. How is the amount determined and is there a means test (like "settled" applicants for council housing often have to go through)
4) If a traveller has enough money to buy his/her own house Is the council still required to house them ?
5) If a settled person doesnt have a hot water and/or a proper bathroom in their house and cant afford to have one put in can they ask the council to provide one ?