Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

here, do me a favour and watch this.

Posted by Donnacha on November 07, 2007 at 01:19:32:

So earlier this year I tried to make a movie that was *NOT* going to be a "student film". I wrote a short called "Spark", about an artist who gets blinded in a car wreck and has to deal with that. The script got great notes from classmates and teachers, I got the actors I wanted, little problems came up and I fixed them. Seemed like everything would be okay.

... except for the crew, and several of the actors I asked, not helping out when shooting came. More grievously, the narration that I thought the film "needed" since the script stage turned out to be overwrought and boring. It reminded me of when I posted one of my first script attempts online, and one reader decided to post the link on ANP, saying it was the worst thing ever written.

With the pared-down crew and not enough time, I cut out some scenes and shot quickly. The idea to shoot hand-held, as if I were shooting "Babel" or something, was not a good one. The result is ugly and cliched, without any of the nuance my silly notions had intended - the very typical "student film" that I had wanted to avoid making.

That's not to say it was an awful experience. Meeting the doctor who let us shoot at his clinic was fun, and any day where you get to play with a DeLorean for a few hours can't be bad (asking my actor about the experience of driving it during shooting, his response was simply "I have wood right now"). I like the shots of Chicago at dusk, and the bits at Navy Pier.

So, I pretty much abandoned it. I threw in a ton of stolen music to stop the audience getting bored, slapped it on a VHS tape and played it for the class.

They overwhelmingly voted to enter it as the class' entry into the student's film festival, which was very encouraging.

So, since I've blathered enough, do us a solid and have a gander at it. If you think it's the worst thing ever shot, say so, but please point out what I could be doing better and what I'm doing just fine so far. Ta.

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs ]

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]