Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

....the queen of englands visit....

Posted by oliver killeen on May 17, 2011 at 03:06:10:

a cara......in 1814 we took a little trip...along with colonel jackson down the mighty mississip....we took a little bacon ...and we took a little beans....and we caught the bloody british in the town of new orleans....we fired our guns and the british kept a comin'....there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago....we fired once more and they began to runnin' on....down the mississipi to the gulf of mexico...etc....this ballad sung by johnny horton ... rocked the airwaves in 1959....in some countries the ballad was banned.......and yet america who fought that war against the british.....welcome the the british royalty with open arms.....when dianna ....seperated from prince charles....america tried to woo her to live in the u s......now queen elizabeth is going to visit ireland.....invited by the president of our country.....i think that the time has arrived to greet this head of state.....in the same fashion ...as ireland greets other heads of state.....with irish hospitality and cordiality.....the bitternesses and hostilities .....should be put aside....she should witness first hand the great irish welcome.....that cead mile failte....will be enshrined in her memory.....our history tells us of our great wars with england.....and the the loss of so many lives to gain our state.....but we are a free people.....if it were not for england.....so many irish would have died in poverty at home....england allowed our people free access to its shores.....and so many of us fled ireland and mother because we were poor.....and fled to england......many of the great english cities.....london...birmingham...liverpool.....birkinhead... manchester....leeds....have large irish populations.....in the late '40's....and early '50s just after world war 2 ....we flocked to england.....as sean o casey said of that period....we were only standing on our knees.....the boats from the north wall...and dun laoighre....were laden with young irish .....i remember when i fled home in the early '50s ...the b and i boat the munster was packed to to the rails.....we set sail from the morth wall for liverpool.....and drank and sang of...moonlight in mayo...and cutin' the corn at creeslough.....and when we arrived at the princess docks under the great phoenx of the liver buildings....i dont remember any scucer telling us we were not welcome....and when i journeyed to london .....and willesden...i diont remember anyone telling us go home.....what i remember is going to the crown in crickelwood....or the spotted dog....or biddy mulligans in kilburn.....and seeing the bars filled with irishmen ...and women....with money in their pockets....and sending home money every friday.....in every part of london....at the dances ...in the galtymore....the round tower....the garryowen....the banba....i met irish people.....making a living.....they worked....and sent money home.....they were happy.....well fed.....and well clothed.....they were able to buy homes.....and raise their families....england did not deny them .....why ....my hero ...michael collins went to london...and worked for the post office....its been many years since i left england.....i have never lost my irish pride....my irish status....and i know we irish are big enough ....to extend a typical irish welcome to the british head of state...i know we will not embarass our taoiseach.....our beloved enda kenny.....we will do him proud...as he is the first irish taoiseach to welcome the queen of england to our gre e.....at green shores.......let the world know....that ireland and its people are peaceful....charming....and welcoming.....and that we are indeed the emerald isle......with hearts as bright and as radiant ...as finnians rainbow.....and let her know that ...tog go bog e.....is a genuine sentiment....
....slain ....agus tog go bog e...

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]