Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

I agree with Daz . . .

Posted by Castlebarbarian on June 20, 2011 at 13:07:58:

In Reply to: re: street bins posted by Daz on June 19, 2011 at 01:16:50:

I live in the town but could count on one hand the number of times I have walked or driven up the main street in the last month.

Before the street improvements started my footfall was actually less and maybe I drove up it two or three times more per month.

Why does a local living in the town (not on the outskirts) not engage with Main Street?

'Cos there's nothing there that I particularly want . . . between the shopping areas of SuperValu & the 'Castlebar Quarter' (daft idea that, naming one part of the town something from a bad marketing book) most of my needs as a consumer have been met . . . what the area needs is services (or goods) that draw consumers in and that's down to the retailers - if you sell what people want, in sufficient quantities to generate a profit, you'll have a successful retail business on Main Street, otherwise . . . I guess the writing is on the wall.

Ya know, I will probably drive up it less in future (which as a pedestrian user I see as a good thing) and ya know now that ya can walk up and down the street with kids or a buggy/stroller it will make it far easier to access (I used to find it easier to cut along by the river or over by the church).

I think the improvements are a good thing, just sorry they didn't go the whole hog and pedestrianise the whole thing but hey at least they can do that on a temporary basis and divert traffic via the car parks for future street fests!

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]