Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

Castlebar County Mayo McNicholas family

Posted by Cecilia McNicholas on July 29, 2011 at 14:07:45:

Hello - my grandfather James McNicholas was from Kitltinaught in Conty Mayo in In Ireland very near to Castlebar. I understand that one of his sisters (Annie?)was close to Eamonn de Valera and helped him to escape from the Black and Tans at the time. The women in the family often had reddish hair or were 'black Irish' in that they were dark of hair and cleft chins were also common. There is a McNicholas engineering/roadworks? firm based in North London somewhere. My father, George Patrick ,now deceased,was born in Watford and married my mother who is Flemish, still alive and kicking at 90, in Belgium shortly after the war ended. My grandfather was a well known amateur boxer in England, I understand that some of these fights were illegal. His name was James. One of my fathers sisters, Betty, is still alive. One of his sisters called Eileen was killed by TB from infected milk. The others were Evelynn and there was a brother called Ferdy that was killed in the blackout in the second world war by a tram. I would like to know more of my Irish origins, My Aunt Evelynn died at a grand old age only last year and there are her two children, twins Micael and Eileen. Auntt Betty is still alive and has three children - Margaret, Nick, and James known as Jim. I do not have a computer at home so have to use public access machines at the library etc o please be patient .

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]