Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

Pollatomary Cave - Artur Kozlowski RIP

Posted by PJ on September 07, 2011 at 23:14:01:

Much to my surprise and some amazement I discovered the man who died in the cave near Gort last Monday evening; Artur Kozlowski (AKA Artur Konrad) held the Irish and UK record for deepest cave system explored on these islands, which just happens to be Pollatomary Cave in Ballyburke between Ballyhean and Killawalla, less than 2 miles from my house. It is where the Aille river resurfaces after going underground at Aille caves some 3km away. Artur explored this cave system to a depth of 103 metres back in July of 2008.

To read Arturs account of his adventures and explorations in both Pollatomary and other cave systems is both thrilling and terrifying in equal measure. His most recent trip down Pollatomary was back in June of this year when he discovered a new passage and in doing so nearly lost his life then. His account of that experience is both chilling and eerily prophetic in consideration of the events that sadly transpired this week.

I think for anyone that fears that Pollatomary might become a destination for casual thrill seekers out of my posting here, a brief read of Arturs blogs will give you an indication that it is not for the fainthearted and the courage of those that participate in this, one of the most dangerous of all sports is remarkable. However the risks are probably up there with extreme skiing, freeclimbing and basejumping, whereby there is absolutely no room for errors or mistake as the result is quite simply death as, sadly Artur proved this week. Rest in Peace Artur. I salute your courage.

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]