Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: interns

Posted by jj on October 05, 2011 at 13:56:39:

In Reply to: re: Thanks Indy posted by Spanish Inquisition on October 05, 2011 at 09:05:40:

OK - so we have totally gone off-piste in relation to the original topic of interns.

I will offer one dissenting voice (than postings here) in support of the scheme.

Many businesses are unwilling to commit to hiring people in current environment and are using it as a mechanism to gauge ability to increase workforce.

There are checks in place with the ability to continue using interns and the number of interns allowed.

It is definitely a temporary measure, and has benefits to the unemployed person with an additional 50 a week plus shows willingness to work which is a concern for some employers.

Not sure there can be explotation as normal employement law would still apply (working conditions, etc.)

No doubt some businesses will see it as an opportunity to reduce their costs for a 6-9month period, but most businesses are aiming for growth and this gives them an opportunity to hire an intern in a segment that is not core. (i.e. internet sales, web design). If a success then jobs are created, if not, then only cost is the 50 a week payable by the state, and disruption to the Company.

There is publicly listed companies using interns to do project work, that they believe potentially have benefits, but in current environment can't justify the expense. This helps.

I accept there are fall backs/limitations to the scheme, but I do believe there are benefits also to all stakeholders.

(I do find it difficult to follow people's arguments with limited capitalised letters and proper sentence and paragraph structure, but alas, such appears the norm for web postings)

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]