Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: Feedback Appreciated

Posted by Benen Tierney on October 30, 2011 at 16:37:52:

In Reply to: re: Feedback Appreciated posted by Non-listener on October 28, 2011 at 14:01:51:

Hello Non Listener. As manager of CRCfm I feel I should set the record straight on some of your points.
1.CRCfm does not cost the tax payer a fortune to run. There is POBAL funding for a manager and three full time staff. We have split those three full time positions into six part time roles. The cost for each role is 20 more per week than if they were on the dole. Those six people work many extra hours in a voluntary capacity. Much of that work is helping and encouraging others to return to a work environment. This is much of what CRCfm is about.

2. You should conduct your own radio listenership survey, maybe from your customers. It would be interesting to see the result. Our surveys are conducted on the streets of Castlebar and are anonymous. One in four of those questioned stated that they had tuned in to CRCfm at some point the previous day. The sample rate was 200 people which is above average for those type of surveys within a region of this size. The same survey shows Mid West Radio as having almost double our listenership within the 20km radius of Castlebar. Are you one of them? Maybe you feel that they have no listeners either?

3. Christmas Greetings - We contacted all business outlets in Castlebar offering them the opportunity to wish their customers a Happy Christmas this year as we had a few complaints last year that there were only a select few asked to do so. You do not have to avail of this. If everybody wished to take up this offer, we could not accept most due to space restrictions laid down by the Broadcast Authority of Ireland.

4. Your point about misguided enthusiasts is all over the place and has no basis at all. As already pointed out, there is little or no cost to the tax payer above what leaving people at home on welfare would cost. Instead, these people have an opportunity to get back into the workplace. In terms of local radio, the programming on CRCfm is of a very high standard, in the main. There is a better variety of programming on CRCfm than on many of the commercial stations in this country.

5. That brings me on to your comment about CRCfm not lasting a week in the commercial world. Personally I have spent my life in the commercial world, both inside and outside radio. I managed a business sales team for O2 Ireland for four years and prior to that spent four years working in their corporate business division. I spent three years in the investment world closing deals ranging from 40 to 1.5m and I still run my own entertainment business, which is surviving nicely despite many others in the sector having gone to the wall. Suffice to say, it's a bit more than a week's experience! You should also be aware that CRCfm is a community station with a community licence. This differs greatly to a commercial licence. It serves a different purpose to stations like Mid West but that's something you can look up for yourself. Calling it a day is another way of saying quit and we are not quitters.

Now that you are a little more educated on CRCfm, maybe you should ask yourself what comments you would get here were you to ask the same question we did?

Thank you for your interest n CRCfm, but next time read the original post before you comment :)

Benen Tierney
Manager
CRCfm

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]