Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: IRA Ambush in Mayo

Posted by Tom on November 08, 2011 at 21:22:00:

In Reply to: IRA Ambush in Mayo posted by John on November 05, 2011 at 11:36:30:

On Sunday afternoon, 2nd September 1973 three RUC reserve constables were injured when armed men ambushed two cars at Islandeady. Machine-gunners riddled the two cars.

Two of the reservists were seriously wounded. A third was hit in the leg. Six men in full combat gear escaped from the sene across the fields. The five RUC men were members of an angling party of ten from Lisnaskea. All ten worked for the English Sewing Cotton Company and were meeting representatives of the company's Westport based sister, the Irish Sewing Cotton Company. The injured men were Colin Turner, Andrew Fulton and Roy McMullen.

On Saturday they had been fishing at the exclusive salmon waters of Newport House Hotel having been issued with temporary salmon fishing licenses. They checked out of the Clew Bay Hotel at 3pm on Sunday and 10 minutes later ran into the ambush.

John Fadden (28) from Ballyheane and Richard McDonnell (28) from Manulla were charged with attempted murder at Kilbree Lower, Westport. I haven't been able to find whether they were found guilty. I will update the board when I do.

All information from the Connaught Telegraph.

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]