Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: Castlebar Military Post

Posted by Observer on November 16, 2011 at 23:43:56:

In Reply to: Castlebar Military Post posted by Ex 5th Cav Member on November 15, 2011 at 23:51:40:

For my limited knowledge of the buildings (thought I am open to correction) I think that a good proportion of them are in need of considerable refurbishment and would need considerable work and investment to make them suitable for anything other than their present use (investment that is unlikely to come from the public sector in the present economic climate).

I think the best we can hope for as regards their use in the short term at least is that they are offered to a responsible "holding tenant" at low cost or rent so that the integrity and basic upkeep of them is maintained and that they don't become a base or focus for anti-social activity.

Unfortunately the nature of 18c army barracks make them largely unsuitable for multi residental accomodation or other similar uses without considerable modification or investment. Same unfortunately applies to converting them to a museum ala Collins Barracks in Dublin.

It does occur to me that maybe voluntary groups in the town should be granted use of various blocks under the premises of being also responsible for their upkeep, akin to the adopt a highway arrangement in the USA.

I do recall that the council utilised some of the space as overflow office accomodation 20 or 30 years ago and I wonder would this be feasable again for either the town council as an interim arrangement in the move between Marsh house and the Imperial hotel or by the county Council such as for the planning enforcement section that are currently housed in temporary portocabins in the drill yard of the fire station.

Other options:

It could make a great outdoor cinema!
It would make a great 2nd local campus for GMIT
It would be a great location for (and building for conversion to) a hotel in a different economic climate!

And that about it unfortunately. I've been thinking about it all day as to what possible innovative use it could be put to and every single option that I contemplate would unfortunately involve currently non existent investment and therefore I fear the facility is sadly doomed to dereliction and abandonment within years if not months.

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]