Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

Economic Benefits

Posted by Counter That on November 30, 2011 at 10:54:20:

In Reply to: re: Mons. Horan Statue. posted by are you serious? on November 30, 2011 at 05:16:36:

I agree but for the sake of discussion let's look at it from another angle . . . does that 70,000 include VAT? If so between materials, assembly, installation & labor costs there would be significant kick-back to the public purse (though not directly to Mayo Co Co).

Also think of the employment the project creates - it would take a starving artist off the bread line for a while - think of all the people involved in the mining and transport of both the completed statue and the materials involved (and all them lads need to buy petrol & breakfast rolls too - trickle down to the pig, egg & flour producers for the bacon, bread, etc. - not to forget the purveyors of the product too).

The interconnectedness of everyone means that there are benefits to what seem like an outlandish project on the surface.

But it will be a symbol and maybe people will be able to draw some inspiration from it - if it inspires another Mons Horan jnr to think outside the box and to achieve the supposedly 'impossible' then I say build it and be proud of what it represents - using the argument that the man himself would've thought the money would be spent better elsewhere is a red herring, sure the argument that money spent on the basiclla & airport coulda been better spent too but sure sometimes you just have to follow your dream.

If you build it, they will come . . .

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]