Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: Journalistic Integrity:

Posted by John on January 05, 2012 at 09:52:08:

In Reply to: re: Journalistic Integrity: posted by Troy McClure on January 04, 2012 at 16:47:04:

Your comments are well made. However, my point is that journalistic standards are low in this country, due to lazy journalism in general. It used to be that the media told us what to think about, now they tell us what to think.
We have the same old faces trotted out for their opinions every single day, and that's all they offer, opinions. When it was put to them to go for election, they declined.
Regarding church scandals, as you say, there were cover ups, abuse and dispicable behaviour which will leave many people hurt beyond belief. The uncovered abuse was not all carried out by church people though. Our state, of which I am citizen, knew a lot of what was going on and to the shame of us all, did nothing. It is worth noting that less than 5% of abuse is carried out by clergy/religious while 95% is carried out by lay people, and a high percentage of that within actual families. Yet clergy have been demonised by the awful actions of a few. I condemn all abuse, lest there be any doubt about where I stand on the issue.
Regarding Fr. Reynolds, you say it was dealt with and move on. But once more it shows the appalling level to which some journalists will go to "get their story". To whom are they accountable, or should they be accountable to anyone? Is it ok for them to follow low standards, chance their arm and publish an apology later? I say not. Supposing said Padre had been accused of killing someone? He'd still be guilty in the eyes of many, because he would not be able to prove his innocence. In my opinion it should not have to be the case that a person vilified in the media has to prove his/her innocence, due to low standards of journalism. That's simply not acceptable in my opinion.
Let's hope journalists learn from their mistakes and decide to act honourably in future.

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]