Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: CRC Politics Show

Posted by jj on February 19, 2012 at 20:06:30:

In Reply to: re: CRC Politics Show posted by Realist on February 19, 2012 at 19:07:05:

how can you say Mayo has been neglected? You obviously have never been in Leitrim, Donegal, West Limerick, Tipperary, or Longford/Westmeath. Anytime I've driven home from Dublin, the difference between Roscommon and Mayo is obvious.

But if you want to see real destitute travel to any town in Yorkshire, Cumbria, or Teesside/Tyneside. Or Glasgow.

And you really should look at IDA website, and examine the spread of their investments/partnerships in this country. But again, some people like to rant and rave.

Lets look at this rationally

1 - There is no university in Mayo, one of the driving forces of entreprise. That is mainly a historic reason as I think (open to correction) the only University created since the formation of the state is University of Limerick and DCU.

2 - Enterprise via Kerry Group and Donegal Creameries have its foundation in the co-op movement, which was present in Mayo but never took off. Oh and by the way, Pat The Cope Gallagher, a FF member has his nickname from a similiar co-op movement.

3 - The investment in the Mask water scheme and other investments in the water treatment are one of the reasons why Allergan have been willing to invest further money in their plant.

3 - The positives of Mayo are seen in some of the stronger family businesses - Hughes in Westport, Stauntons and Mulroys in Castlebar, and I am leaving out many. Politics is usually not associated with entreprise.

I am not naive and acknowledge their are shortage in Mayo's infrastructure. Roads to Ballina are a problem for their CocaCola bottling plant, and our broadband is not sufficient, but we have to be realistic in our demands.

I will say however, one of my gripes, is the conversion of what was an industrial estate out the Breaffy Road into a retail park. But.............

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]