Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: Fianna Fail

Posted by jj on March 02, 2012 at 09:25:05:

In Reply to: re: Fianna Fail posted by Jobs for the boys and girls on March 01, 2012 at 19:59:02:

Why use such emotive language. "cattle boats" the use of such language diminishes your argument, if you have one in the first place.

Try and develop an argument by citing incidents of corruption. What state boards are you complaining about.

For balance, the eircom/Telecom Eireann process started under the John Bruton, FG led, administration. Not FF.

I have always struggled with state boards and the individuals that are put onto them. But given the size of the country, and Irish people's extraordinary ability to "network" (everyone is someone's friend you know), it is easy to believe there is politican connections when in fact sometimes there are none.

I think the brand of social partnership between the FF led administration, but included Labour, of social partnership got out of hand. In the beginning it was a useful process to lower levels of strikes (although Ireland does not have a militant union like the UK), and to provide some wage discipline. But it continued too long.

The SIPP program initially was a useful way of deleveraging the Irish economy, (timing was apallingly oportunistic to coincide with elections), but some tax incentives should have been used to encourage debt/pension payments over consumption.

However, the biggest failure I think was the removal of McCreevy to Europe over what was a public spat over the level of contributions to the National Pension Fund. He belatedly realised there was a problem, (some of which he caused but was taking minor steps to rectify), but internal and external political pressure prevented him from making bigger contributions to the National Pension Fund.

He had caused some of the issues with extensions of the Section 23 allowances (stupid idea), lowering of CGT (was in favour), and the unbalance nature of the government revenue (I was against - three legs to government revenue, consumption {VAT, excise etc}, Income taxes and Capital taxes (stamp duty, CGT, Corporation tax etc), and it became too inbalanced towards ironically Capital taxes).

I ramble a little, but please don't use tired cliches about cattle boats. Construct an argument (and when taking pot shots at FF there is plenty of ammunition).

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]