Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: H/hold charge-2 days left

Posted by jj on March 29, 2012 at 20:24:46:

In Reply to: H/hold charge-2 days left posted by Tom on March 29, 2012 at 18:12:49:

Refuse - your local authority sweeps the streets and empty public bins. They also operate recycling centres and the refuse centre.

Sewage - The system needs maintenance and it also costs to operate. Some sites paid to connect to the system but that was to connect, it still has to be maintained.

Fire brigade - fires at public buildings and public spaces need to be paid for. In addition, the 75 hr is not sufficient to cover the costs of the fire brigade.

Roads - road tax is not sufficient to pay for all of the expenditure on roads.

I hate these type of explanation.

The tax bracket needed to be widened and although I am against a regressive tax like household tax, and I do think they should have waited and implemented it properly, by size or value (size would be my preference, but also should be linked to heat efficiency perhaps).

But look at it in the UK, I pay nearly 2,500 a year. Admitedly I get refuse for this, no water or sewerage (pay that separately), reduced street lighting and library access in the last 10 yrs.

The tax base needs to be widened, many of those who oppose this tax do propose a wealth tax (and despite the recent crash, property still accounts for a significant amount of peoples wealth, especially those who own their house outright, those with mortgages receive interest relief which is not available in the UK).

I accept the tax is regressive and unfair, and has been implemented terribly, but there is a need to widen the tax base, and on balance acceptable.

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]