Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: mulherin

Posted by jj on April 22, 2012 at 20:43:58:

In Reply to: re: mulherin posted by Troy McClure on April 22, 2012 at 16:11:52:

I didnt see her on the Saturday RTE program, but I suppose I take out of her (rambling) speech a couple of points.

1. Although she indicated her unwillingness to support that particular debate, she acknowledged that we legislate for the minority, not majority.
2. Just because it is a sin, doesn't mean we should legislate for all sinful acts, including greed and hate.
3. The opening of the debate is useful, but perhaps, as I think she was suggesting, we should move the debate back a little, to pre pregnancy, and the choices one makes.

Perhaps the Irish, like the rest of the world, are maturing to the point that they can be trusted with freedom of choice. In fact, although divorce became legal, marriage still remains very popular in Ireland and throughout the world, including the USA. It could be argued that when people are free to abort, they will fight harder to keep their unborn babies by choice and they will value their pregnancies. For those who do not, and I believe them a minority, they will be free to choose what to do with no legal pressure. In other words, any legislation will not make a good Catholic choose abortion against her conscience.

I take this statement as the crux of her argument, having abortion available does not make it compulsary.

I accept the speech was rambling, and as a trained solicitor you would have expected better. The question I would ask her directly, is why she thinks the Bill was untimely.

I type this, and although I am not in favour of abortion, I probably would accept abortion in Ireland.

I didn't see the Late Late Show, but travelling to the UK or travelling to a City in Ireland, won't remove the suffering.

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]