Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: Railway Station

Posted by Flying 121212 Scotsman on December 12, 2012 at 21:15:53:

In Reply to: re: Railway Station posted by John Boy on December 12, 2012 at 17:05:40:

Did you know that the speed record for Dublin to Cork was set way back in the 19th Century by a Steam Engine?

And my information is that this record hasn't been beaten yet - even in the 21st Century.

And as one who is moved by a fossil-fuelled vehicle and one who spent quite a while today in a lights queue somewhere outside LONGford with a line of over a km of cars bumper to bumper in either direction I can see why a set of uninterrupted rails 150 or more years ago was a means for speed!

Additional info: I also rubbernecked at a duel set of Garda cars driving VERY SLOWLY if not stopped altogether in front of a VERY VERY LONG tailback of cars on the M50 (going opposite to my chosen direction towards Castlebar) in the early rush hour). I don't think it was a special 12-12-12 celebration - like - driving 12 kilometers in 12 hours on the 12th of December!

---------

Anyways - Here's what it says on the Irish Rail website linked to previously above or click ye olde 19C linke below:
----------

Dublin-Westport/Ballina

Major changes proposed on this olde route include:

- Journey time improvements to all Dublin-Westport services of between 5 and 20 minutes.

- One new service (09.45 o'clock Westport-Dublin: connection from Ballina at 09.35o'clock ) brings frequency from Westport to Dublin from four to five daily

- Departure time changes, which together with the additional service will give greater flexibility to customers, particularly ye olde tourists seeking ye roome with da view!

[Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Online Sudoku]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[West of Ireland Photographs]

[Why not become a contributor to this website? Logging in and submitting an article to Castlebar.ie is easy. For help see our contributors' section.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]