In Reply to: National Outdoor Pursuits Academy and Sports Facilities for Castlebar posted by Cllr. Therese Ruane on January 14, 2013 at 16:24:18:
As a local business man I cannot agree with you more in relation to the rates. They cannot be increased.
However I strongly feel that a 50metre pool would greatly enhance our town, And there are a few things I would like you to answer. I get the impression that you have just looked at this in a very black and white way. ie. It costs too much to run, so we cannot do it.
Where I think: right we have a problem lets see how we can get around it. And this is just a very quick brainstorm below. But Therese as our reprehensive, please look into this fully. Unfortunately I donít have the time to myself but hears are just a few points that popped into my head.
1. You stated that the running costs will be an extra Ä300,000 annually. Have you looked into the extra revenues that a 50metre pool will bring in? and if so when you subtract this figure from the afore mentioned running costs what figure are you left with?
2. Bangor in northern Ireland have a 50 metre pool, have you approached the management of this pool to ask about their figures and how they run their pool etc?
3. Have ye looked into a public/private partnership and would this work for castlebar?
4. Have you looked into ways of cutting down the running costs? ie. A wind turbine. A large wind turbine should be enough to cover a large amount of the energy costs, and there may even be enough to sell back to the grid? Is there grants that you could get from Europe for a wind turbine? Does the council have any land that would be suitable for this? (id prefer it not to be visible from lough lannagh)
5. Can you link the 50metre pool with the gmit to attract more students to the town, been the only 50metre pool in Connaught, how else can we gain from this?
6. Can you put in a good management team that can come up with more ideas to make this pool work?
As stated above I donít have the time to research this myself, but I feel that a 50 metre pool could be a great benefit to the town, As it stands we donít have one in Connaught (which is a big catchment area) and this is an excellent chance to get one.
So please look into this further. But look into it with vision.
I am sure we can all come up with more ideas on how to make this work. And even after I post this I am sure il come up with a few more myself.. Yes there are obstacles Therese, but none that we cant get over. Lets put Castlebar on the map.