Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: What could be done to make Castlebar a better town

Posted by Pj on March 15, 2013 at 08:48:08:

In Reply to: What could be done to make Castlebar a better town posted by Castlebardude on March 13, 2013 at 22:51:33:

My commendations to you Castlebardude on a well considered and very ambitious, even daring brainstorm on one potential future for castlebar. As someone who engaged in similar public exercises in the past most notably back in 1994, I admire your enthusiasm and bravery and sense of adventure but I fear that you will find it difficult to find sufficient enthusiasts with both the power, influence, inclination and possibly most significantly, financial clout or capability to bring the vision or even aspects if it to realisation.

There is an element of irony that much of what I encountered in advocating similar changes back in 1994 have actually led to the continued demise of aspects of the town particularly the moving of the commercial centre from main st down to Hopkins rd yet even still the pedestrianisation of Main st would be strongly resisted by many in influence on what I would regard as outdated or largely illogical grounds.

The other caution I would advocate however is that would you really want to transform a town as relatively conservative and "careful" as Castlebar into some sort of entertainment centre or social capital? I'm not entirely sure anymore if Castlebar (both the physical town or its people) has either the character or the demeanour to fulfil or achieve a role much better served currently by Westport where lots of vested interests seem much more prepared to pull together towards a united end than Castlebar has ever demonstrated a capability or inclination to do so.

Anyway well done on your proposition and the best of luck in your pursuit of it, even in its at times overreaching and fearless ambition

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]