Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: What could be done to make Castlebar a better town

Posted by Castlebardude on March 23, 2013 at 12:50:15:

In Reply to: re: What could be done to make Castlebar a better town posted by Pj on March 15, 2013 at 08:48:08:

I'm no longer living in Castlebar so it's not something that I can pursuit but surely the people of the town can come together in a common forum & make a decision e.g. to pedestrianise Main St. I would imagine the vast majority would support it. If this was done, it would create the opportunities for businesses such as Coffee Shops,Cafes,Restaurants, Gastro Pubs etc to open up along the street & put a bit of life back into our main thoroughfare. I never would have thought of Castlebar as being conservative, maybe it is ? either way we cannot let it continue to be bypassed by domestic & foreign tourists as they head on to Westport to spend money staying in Westport Hotels,spend money eating in Westport Restaurants, more money drinking in Westport Pubs, spend money eating in Westport Takeaways before spending more money hiring Westport Taxis to get back to their hotels. The next day they get up & walk around Westport spending money in local Westport Shops & Cafes & if they are staying a second night.........the cycle continues all over again. So Yes, to get more cash flowing into Castlebar tills, we do need to become more of an entertainment or social centre & without doubt, the various vested interests need to all come together, look at the bigger picture & say "right lads ! what are we each going to do, to attract more people to this here town of ours ! " Maybe a spin-off Entertainment Committee off the Castlebar Chamber would be an idea ?? In the Royal Theatre & Breaffy House Arena, we have 2 of the finest indoor large capacity venues in the country & with only 52 weeks in a year, I do'nt see why we ca'nt attract the biggest crowd-pulling entertainers each weekend. I live in Galway now & have often heard it been said "if Galway only had a venue like the Royal Theatre....." One last thing, there is another decent sized town an hour from Castlebar which has been "ruled" by a small group of businessmen intent on looking after their own interests & throughout the Celtic Tiger years before & after, have blocked all attempts of "progress". Today that town is a complete Sh*t H*le" & so say many of the locals, it's got a big drugs problem & is just a pit of despair in my opinion ( & in many locals opinions). We must not let a small number of conservatives block progress - the result will be devasting for the town. BTW, I may appear to be Anti-Westport, I'm not, I think it's a great town & has got so much going for it.It's a natural tourist mecca.At the moment, if I'm home, I would nearly prefer to head out in Westport with my wife & friends as there's a better buzz over there. It's obvious that there's a behind the scenes effort going on there that ensures this remains that way & I've also seen it in Tuam with Tuam Chamber's recent "36 Venues in 3 Nights" campaign over Paddy's weekend where they promoted entertainment over the 3 nights in 12 different pubs.Thats what we need more of in Castlebar !
P.S. I've been silenced on Boards.ie (for no good reason) by a Westport-based moderator for trying to discuss this topic, please join in the discussion so we can actually talk about this in real-time.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]