Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

New GMIT sports campus

Posted by Observer on September 24, 2014 at 19:06:52:

Surprised there hasn't been any debate on here about the new sports campus for GMIT based at Lough Lannagh especially in the light of the apparent resolution of the issue of whether it should feature a 25m or 50m pool.

I appreciate that the initial proposal by certain Councillors of an Olympic standard pool warranted consideration as to its feasibility and viability but when the costings and projections come back showing it to be an entirely uneconomic proposal which had the potential to set the project back possibly years and end up costing the council and extra 400k per annum to operate, then surely it is time to take the advice of the professionals within the council on board rather than continuing to dig ones heels in on a point of principle or some sort of misplaced honour.

However being as some Councillors seem to have built their political careers and reputation and re-electability on such prevarication and obstinacy (and dare I say negativity) then it's hardly surprising to witness the stance or attitude on this too.

And on a somewhat related matter, I must commend the council on their initiative in cooperation with Liam Lyons in committing the photographers photographic archive to digital format again in the face of all kinds of criticism and unfounded allegations of a county councillor.

While appreciate that such stance may be a vote earner by seemingly projecting the appearance of accountability and a watchdog on the council executive, in the long run does such a level of sustained negativity serve the cause of democracy or indeed the wider interests of our county?

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]