Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: main street

Posted by Mairt on October 30, 2014 at 21:21:46:

In Reply to: re: main street posted by Kit on October 30, 2014 at 00:49:06:

Ok, just read this before posting and I apologise cos its way longer than intended and I almost always ignore such long posts myself :) For those that perservere to the end, be gentle with any replies !

I struggle with the blame game on this.

For decades we as a town have been voting for councillors. We as the people who elect them to make decisions for us at some point have to accept some level of responsibility for those decisions they made, or our lack of anger in our reaction to them at subsequent elections. We also have to appreciate that despite whatever they say, they always had limited influence on big money decisions.

However at what point do we realise that we and our elected representatives are mortal and may not consider every possible outcome. Do we always have have to blame someone else ?

I've grown up here and consider the various commercial areas around the town as generally positive. Especially when I compare them to other towns in Connaught. We seem to have a far superior parking distribution, we appear to have a much easier commuting situation between the various fringes of the town. We also have a good distribution of business types in as far as we're a predemoninatally retail town.

I struggle with the focus on main street. Fine if we were a mainly tourist town, then capitialising on its eccentric character might be valid, but we're not, and we shouldn't atempt to be given the relative strengths of us and Westport. Equally why is its current status such a big hurdle to envisage overcoming without massive ideas. We've done a good job putting the public aspect of the town, and main street in particular in what I'd call a good foundational state. Walk Athlone or Sligo, we're miles ahead. Maybe all we need is a bit of time, let larger economic factors bear fruit, and fruit will will appear again ?

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]