In Reply to: re: Water in Castlebar posted by Jackobite on January 02, 2015 at 12:03:50:
Obviously it hasn't worked in your case eh Jackobite?
Chlorine is used to sterilise our drinking water. There are limits on the residual chlorine at your tap - upper and lower. Sometimes the chlorine reacts with organic matter in the water network giving rise to by products which can be even smellier than chlorine gas released at the tap.
It brings up the question of investment into the whole water supply system - investment is needed to ensure best quality drinking water - with the right amount of chlorine or alternatively with a non-chlorine sterilisation system (which I suspect is not viable for the kind of ribbon development we have allowed over the years in Ireland due to the length of piping required to deliver water from sources such as Lough Mask).
And of course proper treatment of our wastewater too. Some of the sewage plant discharges are sterilised with UV treatment to protect bathing beaches but I don't think UV is viable for drinking water systems such as ours.
And while we are at it the argument "I won't pay until it is fixed" doesn't wash - money has to be put into the system in order to fix it. Metering and charges will reduce losses due to leaks .dramatically
In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer