Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: No vote

Posted by anna o'malley dunlop on May 22, 2015 at 12:34:27:

In Reply to: re: No vote posted by Old Voter on May 20, 2015 at 11:03:35:

Good to see a posting from someone even older than me!
I have to agree with what you say about the Catholic Church - particularly in Ireland.
My own parents emigrated, from Limerick City & Ennistymon in 1936 & always said they did it to get away from the priests!
Being educated as an English Catholic was useful for me, partly because Catholics in England are a minority & there was more freedom to think for ourselves..
But this Referendum is not about the Catholic Church in Ireland.
Too many voters - not yourself, I'm sure - will be saying Yes today to get back at the centuries here of priestly oppression: particularly the rigid crackdown on all free discussion of sexuality.
This cultural climate has made us very shy of calling a spade a spade in the debate.
Love is always love, and it's a scandal that homosexual love should ever have been outlawed or despised. But when push comes to shove ( if you'll forgive me), the way same-sex couples express their love will always be different, simply because there's no risk of one of them becoming pregnant.
Marriage wasn't invented by the Catholic Church: When they made it a sacrament they gained control of it, at least where the Faithful are concerned.
It was invented by society, probably by the cavemen, when they discovered that sex between a man & woman made babies, and brought new people into the tribe.
Nowadays no one needs to get married - most couples (even in Catholic Ireland) only do so when they decide it's time to settle down & have children. One of my daughters has 2 lovely boys with her partner & still hasn't married.
The law can be changed to give same-sex couples all the protection they need. The Catholic Church should revise its theology & give all Civil Partnerships who want it a Mass & a blessing in Church.
In the meantime, solely on the definition of marriage above, I will be voting NO

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]