Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

New Car Sales in Mayo v the rest of the Country

Posted by WB on March 15, 2016 at 16:51:10:

In Reply to: re: Castlebar posted by Jobs! Jobs! JOBS1 on March 14, 2016 at 19:47:22:

Somebody has money though.

Check out the very interesting statistics on county-by-county car sales. Mayo is ranked exactly half-way when you rank the 26 counties in terms of percentage increase in new car sales comparing 2013 with 2015. Car sales are up by a massive 77% in Mayo. In comparison Dublin is up by 59% and Leitrim is up by 113%.

It looks like the trend is continuing, with 2016 already ahead of 2015 by 32% for Jan/Feb sales. Dublin was ahead by 28% for the same period.

You know - maybe there is a recovery after all - and it's not confined to Dublin alone.

I would like to see figures for internet purchases in Castlebar/Mayo though. A lot of shops have closed and while there are some new ones opening like TK Maxx - these tend to be multinationals.

I know I certainly have bought stuff online instead of in a local shop here in Castlebar - often because it is easier and perhaps a better choice is available in that big online shop. Bricks and mortar shops are a thing of the past?

No more than large industrial manufacturing plants located in a remote rural part of Ireland with frankly terrible roads along much of the route along which goods are to be exported from said manufacturing plants. It is great credit to the plants we do have here in Mayo that have stayed here providing decent employment.

As for a vibrant software industry or other cloud-based service, a lot of the same considerations apply. You need real broadband both at home and in the office (mine is about 2MB if I'm lucky) and you need a critical mass of similar skilled people - talking the same language in the pub at night or at the water cooler - SQL v MySql, hadoop v whatever, C sharp v R v Java. Very difficult to pull these types from Barrow Street and the the Silicon Docks in Dublin.

We can hope - but at least car sales are up.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]