Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Disclaimer ] [ Main BB ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: Educate Together & Cllr. Durcan

Posted by Katie on August 19, 2016 at 10:30:13:

In Reply to: Educate Together & Cllr. Durcan posted by Noel on August 17, 2016 at 20:35:50:

I think the people hiding behind Frank Durcan's planning objections need to listen to him on Matt Cooper. It was quite clear he opposes a multidenominational school regardless of where it is housed. If it were merely planning why refer to elitism? (Which, incidentally, is a word he doesn't understand as a school that allows all children cannot be called elitist when compared to schools who only allow Catholic ones, and when they do allow other children they treat them as outsiders)
I am from Castlebar, and I love it, but I could never move back. It really saddens me to see the town I love being so close minded and behind the Times. My two sons are in the Educate Together in Newbridge and it is a fantastic school. It has the exact same curriculum as every other Irish primary school except where other children are only taught Catholicism mine learn about all religions. As I said I am from Castlebar, Irish as far back as I can tell my husband is from Sligo, his family came over with the Normans so Irish for at least 800 years, we are not minorities as Frank Durcan suggested we just don't want our children educated in an archaic religion. Castlebar should respect the fact that it was one of 21 school districts that the Department of Education identified as being in need of a multidenominational school, it is about offering a choice. There is very little choice in Castlebar as it is with two of the largest schools in the town being single sex schools (another out moded style if educating... And I bet people who support the RCC schools right to remain single sex are the same people appalled with Muslim schools in Sweden and Birmingham segregating students based on gender...)

I think it's time Castlebar started to pull itself out of the 1950s because if you want to attract jobs or you want to stop your young people leaving you need to recognise that people want and need a choice in how their children are educated. If you stand in the way of a school that allows some choice then you may as well write up the obituary for the town because no one wants to move a family or a business to 1950.

Follow-Ups:

Post a Follow-Up

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Main BB ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]