In Reply to: re: Boil Water FALSE ALARM posted by Postman Pat on September 18, 2016 at 21:34:23:
Get a grip! Okay Postman Pat, We know An Post is in dire financial straits from today's news - a 25% increase in the price of stamp!!!
But - the parasite was detected in a sample of treated tap water. Cryptosporidium is not killed by chlorination of tap water.
The parasite has to come from the intestines of an animal (or human) that is infected with the self-same Cryptosporidium parasite. Essentially an animal or human in the immediate region of the water intake point on the shores of Lough Mask was infected. The water containing the parasite was sucked into the system and made it through the treatment system.
It's precautionary to issue a boil notice once the parasite is detected. The early notice undoubtedly helped to reduce/eliminate the number of cases.
I suspect that even one or two hospitalised patients suffering from a severe dose of the parasite would have cost taxpayers a lot more than 1200 euro. And if you add in work days lost by people who are ill, but not ill enough to be hospitalised, that 1200 is cheap at the price.
In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer