Posted by Brian Hoban on December 23, 2002 at 23:37:14:
In Reply to: Re: Army barracks posted by Tempus on December 12, 2002 at 22:35:27:
In 1691 the town being the main British Outpost in Connaught next to Galway, was made a Garrison town. Over the years several regiments of the British Army were posted here including the Welsh and Scottish Fencibles, the 69th Regiment and later the Connaught Rangers. The present barracks was built in 1834 with the entrance pillars at Rock Square being completed in 1831.Portion of the barracks was burned during the Civil War in 1922.