Posted by Murrisk on June 06, 2002 at 21:33:30:
Tom Higgins, in his book "Through Fagan's Gates" (page 43), records that in May 1848 the Third Earl of Lucan cleared 289 people from the townland of Aughadrina and levelled all of their houses, to make way for a racecourse and rifle range. Lord Lucan may have used the cleared land as a racecourse but the Ordnance Survey maps from 1870 and 1917 do not show a racecourse in Aughadrina. However, the Ordnance Survey map from circa 1900 does. It would appear the racecourse existed post-1870 and pre-1917.