Go to Castlebar ] [ The BB Index ] [ Disclaimer ] [Nostalgia Board ] [Main BB ] [Roots ]
[NB Refresh for current version and all follow-ups]
Posted by Mrsk on August 02, 2004 at 02:24:26:
........Fr. Pat Lavelle was perhaps the best-known individual Irish priest in the mid years of the last century. At that period everybody in the British Isles, because of him knew where Partry was. This was because of the name he had made for himself for his unflagging efforts to protect his parishioners from eviction at the hands of the local landlord, Archbishop Thomas Plunkett, Protestant Bishop of Tuam, Killala and Achonry since 1839. The bishop at that time lived in Tourmakeady on the estate which he bought from George Henry Moore after the Famine.