Posted by Mrsk on July 05, 2005 at 23:37:02:
.....Mayo compare today? Are there Fly Boats on the route to Dublin? Is there a skin dealer in Rush Street? Is there a Reproductive Loan Fund?
In 1821 the population of Mayo was 297,538 people in 53,940 houses.
In 1841 the population of Mayo was 388,887 people in 70,527 houses.
In 1821 the population of Connaught was 1,053,918.
In 1841 the population of Connaught was 1,418,859.
In 1824 the population of Castlebar was 5,120.
In 1841 the population of Castlebar was 5,137.
In 1824 Castlebar had:-
(1) a distillery and a brewery
(2 9 publicans
(3 2 lawyers
(4)a daily coach service to Ballinsloe at 5:00AM returning at 8:00PM
In 1846 Castlebar had:-
(1) a noble county goal on a radiating plan
(2) 1 parish priest and 3 curates
(3) 23 public houses
(3) 6 lawyers
(4) a Reproductive Loan Fund
(5) a Savings Bank which only opened on Saturdays
(6) George Clennding of Westport, he of the Octagon before St. Patrick’s
statue, was clerk of the Grand Jury
(7) Royal Mail coachs daily to Westport, Sligo, Newport, Galway,
Ballina and Dublin.
(8) a ‘Car’ left daily at 6:30 AM for Ballinasloe and thence to Dublin by
(9) a skin dealer (Patrick Levingson) in Rush Street
[Photo Galleries ]
[Polls Discussion ]
[Main Castlebar Bulletin Board ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Go to Castlebar ]