Click to Visit
[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Castlebar Nostalgia Board ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]

re: The Dwyer Family

Posted by JDP on January 19, 2010 at 22:25:35:

In Reply to: The Dwyer Family posted by Royal on January 18, 2010 at 16:49:03:

Mary Dwyer was the daughter of Catherine and Paul Higgins ( a blacksmith) from Aughagower and married John Dwyer in 1850. From about 1865 John established and ran a coachbuilding works behind and adjacent to their home in Ellison St between where the Post Office stands and Burleigh House. John`s son, Joe, inherited the business on the death of his father in 1895 and ran it until his death in 1919. The works extended to the old brewery ruins. The house to the front on Ellison St was quite large and part of it was let to a Mrs. Latimer and was the residence of a medical doctor in 1798.
According to the books, the business provided permanant employment to coachmakers, painters, coachsmiths, stripers and wheelwrights. Orders came from Ballyshannon, Callan, Achill, Kilkee etc. and Dwyer regularly exhibited at the RDS.
In 1883 Joe was married to Sabina Walsh whose family had a bakery and pub in Castle St. ( one of her great grandsons also had a pub on Castle St. in recent years)
Joe and Sabina were the parents of Ciss (Gilligan), Josie (Loftus), Cathleen (Twiggs) Grace (Gee), Agnes, Rita, John and Harry. Joe was the uncle of Evelyn (Wynne),and Ethel and Willie (guggie) Staunton. All deceased people some of whom may be remembered by readers.

  [Castlebar.News ]
[Photo Galleries ]
[Upload your Photos ]
[Main Castlebar Bulletin Board ]
[Nostalgia Board ]
[Roots ]
[Go to Castlebar ]
[Photos from the West of Ireland ]


Post a Follow-Up




Optional Link URL: (http:// required)
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: (http:// required)

In submitting this post for publication I agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Disclaimer

[ Post Follow-Up ] [ Follow-Ups ] [ The BB Index ] [ Castlebar Nostalgia Board ] [ Disclaimer ] [NB Refresh for current version]