Full programme announced for the county-wide, Mayo International Choral Festival, 2012.
Córfhéile Idirnáisiúnta Mhaigh Eo
Thurs 24th to Sun 27th May, 2012.
This exciting inaugural festival will take the form of over 30 male and female International, National and Mayo choirs participating on a competitive and non-competitive basis. The event will include a number of evening and daily county-wide performances, as well as competitions and workshops. For visitors - friendship, relaxation and a memorable Mayo Experience is the theme of the festival - allowing choirs to meet with other choirs, relax and enjoy a great weekend in the beautiful West of Ireland.
Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin who, together with Tommy Marren, will compere the Gala Choral Concert in the Royal Theatre on Sat 26th.
Choirs from Mayo, Mayo Lions clubs and local community groups will assist with the coordination of the concerts, and with visiting choirs. Some of the choirs taking part include the male voice choir from Finland, ‘Laulu-Jaakot', the ‘Rhode Island College 2012 Chamber Choir' from the US, Sofienberg Choir from Norway, ‘Cantamus' from Derry, The Dublin County Choir, Galway Gospel Choir, Tone Cold Sober barbershop choir from Sligo, and from Mayo, Cór Mhaigh Eo and Cill Áodaín Choral Society.
‘Rhode Island College 2012 Chamber Choir’ from the US.
Five community concerts will take place all over the county, with local and visiting choirs performing at each - Thursday 24th May sees the festival opening concert in the Castlecourt Hotel, Westport, 8.30pm, at which the festival will be opened by Minister Michael Ring. On Friday 25th choirs and guest artistes will perform in concerts in Ballina Arts Centre, Ballintubber Abbey, Knock Basilica, and Swinford Church, all at 8.30pm. Saturday morning (26th) and early afternoon sees the adjudications of the choirs that are competing in the festival - open to the public and it's a great chance to see all the choirs singing at their best! At 8pm on Saturday, many of the prize-winning choirs will perform at the Gala Choral Concert, in the Royal Theatre, Castlebar. During this event, all the choirs will sing two songs in unison, as a massed choir. Pre-concert entertainment will be the traditional Irish youth group ‘The Rolling Waves', with post entertainment with ‘The Lucky Pluckers', featuring traditional Irish Music song and dance, and some funky tunes for those who want to step it out. On Sunday, choirs will perform at churches and nursing homes, and finishing with a ‘Farewell to Mayo' lunch at Breaffy House Hotel. Bígí Linn!
‘Sofienberg Choir’ from Norway, who will perform in Knock Basilica, Fri 25th May.
The festival has the support of The South West Mayo Development Company, Discover Ireland, RTÉ lyric fm, Mayo County Council and Midwest Radio. For more information, log onto www.mayochoral.com or phone 094 90 2 30 40. Tickets for the Gala concert are now on sale from the Royal Theatre, Castlebar. www.royal.ie. The festival office (open from May 11th) is located at the marquees in front of the Royal Theatre, Castlebar.
‘Laulu-Jaakot’, male voice choir from Finland, appearing with ‘Rejoice Gospel Choir’, Ballina in the Ballina Arts Centre on Fri 25th May.
Over 1000 singers in 33 choirs, as follows:
Aarne Saluveer (Estonia), President of the Estonian Choral Association, who will adjudicate and also talk on the panel at the ‘What We Look For’, Symposium – a discussion by several of the visiting adjudicators giving an insight into what they like to see (and hear!) from choirs during a competition.
• Ad Hoc Chorale, Waterford
• Ballina Chamber Choir, Co. Mayo
• Cantamus, Derry
• Castlebar Gospel Choir, Co. Mayo
• Castlebar Parish Choir, Co. Mayo
• Cathedral Choir, Ballina, Co. Mayo
• Cill Áodaín Choral Society, Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo
• Close ‘n Time, Co. Sligo
• Cór Mhaigh, Co. Mayo
• Dublin County Choir, Co. Dublin
• Duhallow Choral Society, Co. Cork
• Dunmore Church Choir, Co. Galway
• Enchiriadis Chamber Choir, Co. Dublin
• Four Bars Later, Co. Sligo
• Galway Gospel Choir, Co. Galway
• Gracenotes, Co. Mayo
• Harmonia, Co. Mayo
• Knock Basilica Choir, Co. Mayo
• Laulu-Jaakot Male Voice Choir, Finland
• Mayo Male Voice Choir, Co. Mayo
• Mayo School of Music Youth Choir, Co. Mayo
• No Half Measures, Co. Sligo
• Note-Orious 4, Co. Sligo
• Rejoice Gospel Choir, Ballina, Co. Mayo
• Rhode Island College 2012 Chamber Choir, US
• Rockmount Choir, Co. Dublin
• St Joseph's Secondary School Senior Choir, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
• Sofienberg Choir, Oslo, Norway
• Swinford Church Choir, Co. Mayo
• Sweeney Toddlers, Co. Waterford
• Tone Cold Sober, Co. Sligo
• Westport Community Choir, Co. Mayo
• Wexford Male Voice Choir, Co. Wexford.