Mayo Sports Partnership News July / August 2015
- Directory of Summer Camps in Mayo now available
- Men on the Move for Ballaghdereen and Crossmolina this Autumn
- Mayo/Sligo Adult Participation in Sport Report launched by Minister Ring
- Bike for Life beginner 6 week cycling programme for Ballinrobe & Castlebar
- Active Community Walking Programme for Mayo
- Little Athletics Jamboree Erris
- Mayo Sports Partnerships Special Participation Grant Scheme
- Goal to Work West Mayo Sports Coach Training Programme
- Youth Sports Leadership programme to be delivered Autumn 2015
- Participation Opportunities this Summer for People with a Disability
- Safe Sport Online App launched
- Upcoming Events
1. Directory of 2015 Summer Camps in Mayo
Mayo Sports Partnership has once again compiled this directory as an information resource for parents or for those wishing to make contact with organisers of Sports Camps around Mayo. To view this resource click on this link www.mayosports.ie/News/
This information resource gives information on different camps per area
- Adventure Sports Camps
Inclusion in this directory is not an indicator of the quality or value of the camp. All camps listed are independently run and all related queries should be directed to the camp contact as listed. The listed camps are those who we are aware of at this moment and time. If there are any others who would like to be included on our web based directory at www.mayosports.ie please contact us at 094-9047025 or e-mail us the details to firstname.lastname@example.org . Click on this link www.mayosports.ie/news to obtain information for parents on their childrens involvement in sport.
2. Men on the Move for Ballaghdereen and Crossmolina this Autumn
Following on from the fantastic success of the Men on the Move physical activity programme in 10 areas across Mayo, two new areas are targeted for inclusion this Autumn. Men on the Move targets inactive men aged 30 plus to undertake a tailored programme of walk / jogging over an 8 to 12 week period. A qualified physical activity leader brings participants through the sessions which have a high level of fun / enjoyment for men of all levels and abilities.
An added bonus for men in Crossmolina, Ballina and Ballaghdereen is that the 12 week programme will be free as it is part of a national study of mens health. Partners involved in the initiative include HSE West, local GAA clubs, community councils, Mens Shed groups and in Ballaghdereen Roscommon Sports Partnership. For more information contact Ray Mc Namara Mayo Sports Partnership Inclusion Officer at 094-9047023.
3. Mayo/Sligo Adult Participation in Sport Report
Minister of State for Tourism and Sport Michael Ring TD recently launched The Irish Sports Council, Report of Participation in Sport by Adults in Mayo & Sligo. The report has been developed using data from the Irish Sports Council Irish Sports Monitor survey as a means of accurately monitoring and tracking active and social participation in sport among adults in Ireland. The key findings to emerge from the report are the high levels of participation in sport among females and that there is no gender gap in participation in sport in Mayo / Sligo. The report also highlights a range of other positive findings including:
Women (49.0%) participate slightly more than men (47.1%).Exercise and swimming are the most popular activities overall.The proportion of women taking part in running is higher than the national average.Over 64% of Mayo/Sligo residents take part in recreational walking, women (71.1%) are more likely to take part than men (57.8%).Almost 50% take part in some form of social participation, either belonging to a club, volunteering for sport or attending a sporting event.
To view the full report please go to http://www.mayosports.ie/media/Media,26688,en.pdf
4. Bike for Life 6 week cycling programme for Ballinrobe and Castlebar
Cycling Ireland in conjunction with the Irish Sports Council and the local Sports Partnerships are rolling out a 6 week Bike For Life Programme in Ballinrobe and Castlebar.
Cycling Ireland has tied in the programme with the Great Dublin Bike Ride and their target is to get 500 new cyclist to cross the finish line and have fun on the 13th of September in the Great Dublin Bike Ride.
Each Participant pays €20 and will receive a significantly discounted entry to the Great Dublin Bike Ride, a 6 week Bike For Life programme, a GDBR Jersey(first 1000 enties), a buff, socks, a logbook and Insurance to cover them for the running of the programme.
(Bike For Life 8 week programme usually costs €30 and entry for the GDBR is €25 = €55). That's a saving of €35!
Anybody interested in participating in these programmes are asked to contact Anne Ronayne Mayo Sports Partnership at 094-9047022
5. Active Community Walking Programme for Mayo
In association with Get Ireland Walking the Active Community Walking Programme aims to support the creation of vibrant walking communities throughout Mayo.
Target for 2015
The programme will target communities that have little or no organised walking activity. During 2015, the programme will incorporate the following:
- Mayo Sports Partnership will have at least one County Community Walking Facilitator trained.
- Deliver the Active Community Walking Programme in 7 communities.
- Enable these 7 communities to foster a vibrant walking culture through the establishment of walking groups
The following groups are proposed for involvement, please contact the below groups to express interest
Name of Group Contact
- Charlestown District and Development Association Brid Kenny 0879749366
- Newport and District Development Company Fiona Hopkins 087 7918172
- Mayo Traveller Support Group Keith Maughan 087 3874977
- Carracastle Community Council Caroline Henry 086 1660196
- Erris Heartbeat Defibrillator Group Ann Nallen 086 1611799
- The Non Prophet Organisation- Claremorris John Farragher 085 7506104
- Cong Social Walking Group Miriam 0872795126 (find them on Facebook)
6. Erris Little Athletics Jamboree 2015
The ‘Little Athletics' Programme for all primary school classes and ages proved to be an outstanding success in the Erris area over the 10 week period. 15 schools in total took part in the programme and received two visits from coaches over the ten weeks. On June 16th all 15 schools with approximately 500 pupils came together for our Little Athletics Jamboree. The day was a brilliant success and thoroughly enjoyed by all pupils, teachers and coaches. Many thanks to St Brendans College Belmullet for the use of their fantastic sports hall for the day.
For more information contact either Anne Ronayne Community Sports Project Worker or Ray Mc Namara Sports Inclusion Disability Officer at 094-9047025
7. Special Participation Grant Scheme 2015
At a recent Mayo Sports Partnership Board meeting €19,000 was allocated to 39 clubs / organisations in Mayo through both the Partnerships 2015 special participation grant scheme. Special guest at a recent presentation evening, Minister of State for Sport and Tourism Michael Ring, complimented the work being done on the ground by many volunteers and how it was important to recognise their contributions in whatever way possible. This year the scheme has funded initiatives including the set up of a new cycling club in Islandeady, the new development of a rowing club in Ballycroy, ladies soccer in Greenway Utd Newport, community summer camps, participation programmes in camogie and table tennis, support for masters participation in basketball and GAA. Programmes in the travelling community and the Irish Wheelchair Association were also supported under the scheme.
A full list of the successful recipients is available on our website www.mayosports.ie/news .
8. Goal to Work West Mayo Sports Coach Training Programme
Are you Unemployed? Living in the West Mayo area? Do you want to achieve a coaching qualification in GAA, Rugby and Soccer so that you can work as a Coach?
Mayo Sports Partnership will shortly be inviting applications for Goal to Work sports coach training programme. Participation on this course will not affect a social welfare payment and there are no course fees.
Trainee Coaches must:
- Be unemployed or working part time and in receipt of a social welfare payment or previously self employed
- Have an interest in GAA, Soccer, Rugby and sport in general.
- Be willing to participate in a 14 week training programme for 2 days each week, 9.30am - 4.30pm
- Participation Opportunities this Summer for People with a Disability
An activity club for children with a disability will take place in IWA centre Belmullet over the summer.
Surfing day for children with Autism (Surf2Heal) with Mayo Surf School, will take place on Saturdays over 10 weeks beginning 27th June, at Carrownisky Strand Louisburgh.
Ballina Athletics Track starting in July please contact Ray for time and dates.
Deaf Ear Sports Day
Will take place on Friday 24th July in Breaffy Sports Arena.
If you are interested in participating in wheelchair Hurling please contact Adrian Hession on 087 9316286 for team training times and blitz and league information.
If you are interested in any of the above activities contact Ray on 087 6973093 or email email@example.com
10. Accredited Youth Sport Leadership Training to be delivered this Autumn
The Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership provides the ideal starting point for learners aged 13 years and over who wish to develop their leadership skills, whilst under the direct supervision of their Tutor/Assessor or other suitably qualified adult.
The syllabus is designed to develop generic leadership skills that can be applied to a variety of sports and/or recreational situations as well as contributing to the personal development of the learner.The Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership is a practical award in which learners must demonstrate their ability to lead others in simple sport/activity.
Mayo Sports Partnership plans to work through second level schools and youth organisations to roll out this new course. Earlier in 2015 the Active Teens junior assistant leader programme was piloted in 4 second level schools and proved to be a great success. This accredited programme will build on the Active Teens initiative and make it available to more schools across the county.
More information can be got by contacting the office at 094-9047025.
11. Minister Ring Launches Irish Sports Council Safe Sport App
Minister of State for Tourism and Sport Michael Ring today launched the Irish Sports Council Safe Sport App at the Code of Ethics Information Day. The app is aimed at creating greater awareness and understanding about safeguarding best practice in children's sport.
Users of the app will have access to exclusive video messages from Michael McKillop (Irish Paralympian), Mary Davis (President & Managing Director, Special Olympics Europe Eurasia), Liam Sheedy (Sports Analyst) and Alan Brogan (Dublin Football GAA). The app includes a 'Travel Tracker' which allows parents, coaches, who are driving someone else's child/children home, for example after a training session, to permit the child's parent, or guardian to view and have oversight of their location for a specified period of time while they are travelling on a journey.
The Safe Sport app is presented in two formats and you can choose to read or listen to the information. The native app is available for free download and available on IOS and Android platforms.
12. Other upcoming events:
- Ballina AC Summer Series, 8k Wednesday 29th July@ 7pm Ann Egan 087-4186895
- Westport parkrun Saturday 18th, 25 July @ 9.30am, Weekly event, www.parkrun.ie/westport
- Castlebar parkrun Saturday 18th, 25 July @ 9.30am, Weekly event, www.parkrun.ie/castlebar
- Ballina parkrun Saturday 18th, 25 July @ 9.30am, Weekly event, www.parkrun.ie/ballina
- Cong/Clonbur Joyce Country Challenge. The Joyce Country Challenge gives you an opportunity walk 'Maumtrasna' ,the 'Devils Mother' this circuit of Lough Nafooey .There will be 4 routes on the day. Registration: Entries taken on the day, or pre-register by emailing form and submitting payment online
- Balla 10k Saturday 25th July @7pm, Brendan 087-2941227
- Killala 5k & 13k trial run, Sunday 26th July. The Ronan Clarke 5k Run/Walk and 13k Trail run .Registration at Killala Community Centre from 10.30am. Run/ walk starts at 12 noon.
- Westport parkrun Saturday 1st, 8th,15th,22nd,29th August @ 9.30am, Weekly event, www.parkrun.ie/westport
- Castlebar parkrun Saturday 1st, 8th,15th,22nd,29th August@9.30am, Weekly event, www.parkrun.ie/castlebar
- Ballina parkrun Saturday 1st, 8th,15th,22nd,29thAugust@9.30am, Weekly event, www.parkrun.ie/ballina
- Gaelforce Adventure race Saturday the 15th. Gaelforce West Adventure race
- Foxford fit4life 5k, Sunday the 16th. Foxford Fit4life hosting their first 5k. Everyone welcome. Other fit4life groups welcome. Further details on registration Ann Egan 087 4186895 or Claire Butler Geraghty on 087 2315563. Entry fee is €5
- Ballina AC Summer Series, 8k Wednesday 26th August@ 7pm Ann Egan 087-4186895
- Drummin Westport 10k Weds August 19thCost €7/per person. Entries taken on the day. Age categories: Junior, Senior, 035,045,050, medals first 3 finishters and individuals in age categories. All athletes must wear club vests and be registered fro Mayo club or registered for the county. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ballina 8k Ballina AC Summer Series on Tuesday the 25th. Run 3 for 3. Register at Ballina Athletics Club from 6pm. All welcome, run starts at 7pm. For more info call Ann on 087 4186895
- Achill full/half and ultra marathon. Saturday the 29th August.
- Claremorris Sport a Smile (De Care Dental)five mile fun run Saturday the 29th of August. Starts 6pm. Enter online or on the day. Registration from Maxwells Bar and Restaruant, the square, Claremorris. 4-6pm email@example.com or www.sportasmile.ie
- Ballycroy Weds, Fri and Sunday Guided walk 3pm (1.5km looped nature trail) at Ballycroy national park visitor centre
- Ballycroy Family Hike in Letterheen Woods. Easy hike. Monday 3rd August.