| Mayo Intercultural Action invites you to the window street exhibition to mark this year’s World Refugee Day. The exhibition features visual work of refugees, artists, photographers, activists and MIA volunteers displayed in the windows of twenty two businesses and projects in Castlebar. The exhibition is free and can be viewed at anytime.
Art work of Hina Khan, Pakistan, reflects on trauma and pain suffered by refugees, women and children, around the world. Her paintings symbolise the effects of physical violence, exploitation, fear and loss on children’s minds witnessed brutality of war and conflict.
Images from ‘Asylum Archive’, the project of Vucasin Nedeljkovic, expose the conditions in which asylum seekers live in residential institutions known as Direct Provision centres across Ireland. Families with children live in poverty and cramped spaces in these centres for many years waiting for the decision on their protection claim. There are 35 centres in Ireland run by private operators for profit.
The exhibition displays positive images of refugees living in Mayo taken by Alison Laredo and Dick Heraty. They show how refugees living in our community are engaging with Mayo and integrating to Ireland - their new home.
The exhibition will be launched on the 28th June at 12 noon in Linenhall and will continue from 20th June to 16th July for four weeks.
CASTLEBAR FOR WORLD REFUGEE DAY 2016
MAYO INTERCULTURAL ACTION
Would like to invite you to open exhibition to mark the World Refugee Day
FROM 20 JUNE TO 16 JULY 2016
Photos and art work of
Vukasin Nedeljkovic and ‘Asylum Archive'
Alison Laredo, Hina Khan and Dick Heraty
displayed in the windows of Castlebar businesses and projects
Photos and art works are featured in the windows and are open to viewing anytime.
List of 22 Participants hosting the Windows Exhibition
1. Mayo Intercultural Action, Hill House Mountain View
2. Eureka - Sweet Shop, Castle Street
3. Kellys Hair & Beauty Salon, Castle Street
4. Donolla's Restaurant and Takeaway, Castle Street
5. Lawnmower & Tool Hire Centre Limited, Castle Street
6. Book Shop, Castle Street
7. Moran Auctioneers & Estate Agents, Castle Street
8. Don Racine, Castle Street
9. Connaught Telegraph, Market Street , (3 pieces)
10. Henaghans Health Food Centre, Ellison Street
11. HnBC Hair Saloon, Hair Extension, Ellison Street
12. Olive Tree, Restaurant & Café, Market Square
13. Mayo Advertiser, Chapel Street
14. Castlebar Le Cheile Family Resource Centre, Tucker Street
15. Enda Kenny Office, Tucker Street
16. Appetite Café, Linenhall Street (1 art in window and one pictuare inside)
17. Asian Caribbean Shop, Linenhall Street
18. Linenhall Art Centre, Linenhall Street
19. Gift Supreme, Linenhall Street
20. Mayo Travellers Support Group , Thomas Street
21. Mode Hairdressing, Lucan Street
22. National Museum of Ireland, Country Life, Turlough Park (Give Your Voice Wings display in the Museum Café)
Mayo Intercultural Action
Hill House, Mountain View, Castlebar, Co. Mayo Tel.: 094-9044511,
Email: email@example.com, www.miamayo.ie ,Facebook : Mayo Intercultural Action