Developing a youth work 'toolkit'
This is a six-day long training course for youth leaders working with teenagers and young adults. Facilitated by the Family Centre, Castlebar and the Co Mayo VEC Youth Office. Tthe course is aimed at those youth leaders involved in youth work and looking to achieve best practice. It aims to be as practical as possible, respond to participants' specific needs and provide the attending groups and clubs with hard skills that they can use with their young people.
The course will take place on one Saturday per month (10am - 3.30pm), starting in September 2009 and running until February 2010. It will be hosted by the Family Centre, Chapel St., Castlebar. It is envisaged that participants will learn from the networking opportunities with other groups and the shared leader experiences.
Core subjects to be studied on the course include:
- Understanding the adolescent world
- How to respond to young peoples 'needs' instead of their 'wants'
- The essential skills needed for youth work
- Dealing with challenging behaviour
- Devising programmes that attract and sustain young people
- Organising day trips and residentials
- Child protection and safety in the youth club
- Key theories that will help youth leaders achieve best practice
The trainer is Michael Kelly (Co Roscommon VEC Youth Officer). Michael has over 20 years experience of youth work in the USA, UK and Ireland.
If you are interested in attending this course, please contact the following for more details: The Family Centre, Chapel St., Castlebar. Tel. 094 9025900.
Breda Ruane, Co. Mayo VEC Youth Officer, Newtown, Castlebar. Tel.094 9250730; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org