The road safety Office of Mayo County Council and Westport smarter travel is appealing to people to make sure they are visible and to reflect changing conditions in the way they travel. "Think about conditions and reflect these in how you drive, ride, cycle or walk"
Please promote Daylighted Day 25th October 2013-
We will be promoting it in all the schools and work places to encourage people to wear Hi viz clothing when out walking and cycling and for drivers to use dipped lights when driving during the day.
The clocks go back on Sunday October 27, and employers are urged to plan their Daylighted Day to coincide with this time of year when it gets darker earlier and there's a heightened risk to people on foot and bike.
photos from Holy Trinity NS- let's make Mayo the brightest county in Ireland.
photos from Holy Trinity NS- helping to make Mayo the brightest county in Ireland!
Daylighted Day is a fun and simple way to get a whole organisation talking about and behind road safety, with employees wearing bright and high-visibility clothing to work and preventing serious injuries and fatalities on our roads.
Eva McIntyre Green Schools Education Officer Said "Safety is of prime importance whenever you ride, however, in the winter months there are some specific issues you need to prepare for. Visibility is a significant area to consider. With reduced daylight hours you are often cycling in the dark". Here are some tips to ensure you are seen:
· Wear bright clothing with reflective strips or a reflective vest.
Add a pair of reflective bands around your ankles and wrists. The ankle bands will always be in motion and the wrist bands will make your signals more visible.
Equip your bike with LED lights both front and rear. Adding a solid white light (to light your path) on the front is a good option too.
Add a reflector and/or reflective tape to your bike in case your light doesn't work. Adding some reflective tape to the sides of your bike will also help to make you more visible from the side.
Ann Moore, Westport town clerk said "Westport has many walkway and cycle ways not do such routes provide transport corridors but they will also promote active living, Daylighted day is about encouraging more people to make the smarter choice of travel and do it safely".
Noel Gibbons Road Safety Officer said"Drivers should ensure that their windows and lights are clean at all times to enable them to see what is happening around them. A good rule of thumb is to turn on dipped headlights whenever the windscreen wipers are on. Being seen is as important as seeing. Remember have your tyres at the correct pressure so your stopping distance is not increased. Regular servicing can help make sure your car is fit for darker and wetter conditions and also share the road with cyclists and pedestrians."
Be Safe Be Seen - Top Tips
· Make sure you can be easily seen, especially at night, on dark days and in bad weather.
· Bright or fluorescent clothes show up best by day, even in dull or misty weather.
· In the dark, reflective material is best and shows up in car headlights - remember fluorescent clothing doesn't work after dark. You can put reflective tape on your coat or school bag to help you be seen by drivers.
· It is against the law to cycle at night without a white front light, a red back light and a red reflector at the back, so make sure that your bike is properly equipped and working.
· Cross the road at the safest place possible e.g. zebra, pelican and patrolled crossings. Remember to use the safe Cross Code: Stop, Look, Listen, Live.
· If you're out at night, choose routes that are well-lit by streetlights and cross the road at well-lit places.
· If there is no pavement and you have to walk on the road, always face the oncoming traffic - this is particularly important in poor light or in the dark.
· Find out about 'walking buses' where children walk in groups and are more visible by contacting your child's school or your local council.
Westport Smarter Travel will celebrate the day by giving prizes to schools with the best "Daylighted Fancy Dress "competition. A Daylighted Day Blitz will take part in the town where members of the Westport Smarter Travel team will distribute lots of goodies to pedestrians and cyclists. There will also be Hi Vis Vest stations throughout the town where the public can pick up their own vests.