Members of W.A.H.S.O.C. enjoying a break at the Lahardane Titanic Memorial Park.
Members of the Western Archaeological & Historical Society,Galway, (W.A.H.S.O.C.), visited Co. Mayo recently to view some of the artworks of the Dublin born artist ,Harry Clarke, and the Castlebar born artist, Richard King. Examples of their work grace many churches in the county in the form of stained glass windows and Stations of the Cross.
The group visited Newport Church,where there are some beautiful examples of Harry Clarke windows considered by some to be the pinnacle of his work. A beautiful Richard King window is also installed at the church.
The group then moved on to Lahardane where there is a Harry Clarke Studio window, probably designed by Richard King who managed the studios after the death of Harry Clarke in 1931. There are also two beautiful windows by the relatively unknown artist, James Cox, a native of Rooskey Co. Roscommon. These last two windows are in contrasing styles, and shows the skill of the artist. Other windows, lately installed, show scenes from the Titanic tragedy, and commemorate victims of the disaster, which claimed the lives of eleven of the fourteen people from the Lahardane area,on board the illfated ship.
Swinford Chuch was next on the itenerary and a beautiful sanctury window, the work of Richard King, dominates the church and floods the building with colour as the early morning sun shines through. A most unusual Stations of the Cross, also the work of the Castlebar born artist, places emphasis on the face of the suffering redeemer, cutting out the distracting background.
The tour was guided by Micháel Murphy of Killasser , Swinford, who has a particular interest in the windows and their artists.
The photo, by Micheal O'Sullivan of Westport shows the members of W.A.H.S.O,C. pictured at the Titanic Memorial Park at Lahardane.